Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Singalong Tuesday 7


“If you’re going through hell,” said Winston Churchill, "keep going."

I suspect he wasn’t talking about raising teenagers or dropping a few pounds. Something a little weightier perhaps, like invading an enemy-occupied country.

Still, I like to think this quotation applies to all sorts of arenas. If I feel like I’m stuck in Dante’s third circle, I do my damnedest to trudge onward, one sticky step at a time.

When I link Churchill’s “keep going” to Einstein’s definition of insanity, they give me a nudge to do something – anything! – to break free of the clutching mud in the bottom of my rut.

Maybe I need to eat a little more to reassure my body that I’m not going to starve it, so it can safely burn off some of the excess on my flanks. Maybe I need to march a new route to the library in order to refresh my spirit, or dig some weeds instead and use a different set of muscles.

Lately I’ve been walking and cycling without my iPod. I think I started so as to give my subconscious a chance to chew on work-related questions without interference from Dire Straits; it might even be helping.

Are you doing something different? Eating more or less? Dancing instead of swimming?

I’m always on the lookout for new ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment